7.02.2007

Rules

Originally I was planning on posting some of the photo references I used for the railroad bridge and forest but right now I am in the process of moving and thus don't have access to my external hard drive so the reference shots will have to wait. Instead I will mention something about the rules I set for myself that I used as parameters for creating these pages.

Here are some of my previously unspoken parameters in no particular hierarchical order:
1. No thought bubbles or narration.
A few months before I began to work on "Sour Grape Candy" I had worked on an autobiographical comic about faith for my senior year illustration project. Looking back on it just about every page had large blocks of narrative text. This ended up saving me a lot of drawing time which was absolutely necessary due to the extremely tight deadlines I was pressing up against. The trouble was that it slowed the read significantly and in some ways took away from the overall experience. This was pretty frustrating to me so I decided to focus on writing dialogue and selecting imagery that would enable the scenes to stand without the 'know it all' 3rd person explanation.

2. No black shadows.
The story doesn't have a lot of emotional high highs and low lows it seeks to stay much more in the mid range and I wanted the feel of the pages to mirror that so really contrasty compositions and heavy black shapes were out.

3. Always reference reality.
Drawing is one of those things that I am alright at with reference. Without it my characters often look ridgid and uninspired. Some people can create fantastic realistic looking scenes straight from their heads, I am not one of them.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Reading all this is so interesting! I think it's great that your posting the pages as well as your thought processes that went with them. I'm looking forward to more pages and to seeing you this weekend!
-Abby

Chris Beesley said...

Thanks, its been fun to write about the work. In some ways its informed me as to what I actually think about it because it forces me to think about things in a such a way that is organized enough to communicate with others