2.27.2009

Another view of the recession

As you may remember, a while ago I was inspired by an NPR story that was tracking individual recession experiences rather than major economic indicators. Here's another one of mine.
Two years ago I started commuting into Manhattan from Connecticut. Since I was just starting out I was looking to save money in any way possible. The train ticket into Grand Central alone was almost $300 a month and then if I wanted to park my car at the station it was either $7 a day at the daily parking lot or $70 a month in the garage with a possible one year waiting period for a spot. Luckily I found a free parking lot; it had only one light, definitely needed mowing in more than one place and even looked like the kind of place that you would hear about some crime being committed in, but I didn't really care because it was free and still within feasible walking distance of the train.
For the first year and a half I could pretty much have any space I wanted as long as I arrived there by 8:00 a.m. but within the last six months I've noticed that there are fewer and fewer parking spots even though I still arrive at around the same time. Furthermore the cars present a year and a half ago were mostly the less expensive economy class cars or older models so my 94 Buick didn't look so out of place, but now I'm noticing that the spots are being filled by much newer and nicer cars.

No comments: