2.18.2009

Some advice for myself

The title might make this sound like a stupid idea seeing as though I am myself so if there's anything that I think I should or should not being doing I could just change it. In theory thats how it works but there are plenty of things that I know I shouldn't do but do anyway and plenty of things that I know I should do but don't do. I'm sure I am not alone in this, otherwise everyone would be much a more productive and healthy and businesses like Mcdonalds and Dunkin Donuts would go out of business for lack of customers.
Here's the advice in no particular order of significance.

Turn off the TV. There will always be time for it later and even if there isn't you won't miss too much.

Don't fool yourself into thinking you're being more productive than you are. Looking at design blogs isn't design.

Stop designing without drawing first. That includes the simple stuff too.

Sweat the small stuff. Its the small stuff that's going to bother you when you get work back from the printer.

Don't compromise your beliefs to chase popular opinion. Opinion isn't a validator.

2 comments:

GregandSarah said...

Great thoughts indeed! Also...Greg wonders if you still have any of your cities that you drew in say...middle school? If so, he requests you take a photo and post them so he can show me!
-Sarah-

Chris Beesley said...

Yeah, drew those in 5th grade. I still have them. I'll try to remember to take some photos the next time I'm at my parent's house.