7.12.2009

Low expectations and the self-fulfilling prophecy

Recently I've been trying to make it a habit to carry a camera with me wherever I go. The other day E and I went out to take a walk and I hesitated for second as to whether I should grab the camera. I have an old Canon powershot so if I bring it anywhere it will either be in a backpack or in my hand because it's too big to go in a pocket. I thought about it for a few seconds and decided that I didn't really feel like holding the camera the whole way and besides we were only going to be walking around the block. We've walked around the block plenty of times and it was the middle of the day so the light was crappy so there wouldn't be anything new for me to photograph. We ended up walking around the block a few times and I didn't miss my camera too much until the last lap when I spotted a car with a really clever sign on it and of course I wished I had my camera so I could share it on the blog. This experience made me think a little bit. 

When I have my camera I look at things a lot more. As I mentioned earlier when I started to take pictures of American Flags; once I started paying attention I noticed flags everywhere. This made me wonder how many opportunities I had ignored in the previous two laps. I wonder how my expectations about what I'm going to see impacts what I actually do see. I think seeing things and getting inspired has a lot to do with attitude. If I expect not see anything interesting or beautiful, I'm likely to miss out.

I think a lot of things in life work this way; even conversations and relationships fall under this rule. I'm a christian so I like to have meaningful conversations about God and faith with people, christian and non-christian alike. Conversations like these are not necessarily cultural norms, but I find that the more I expect that people aren't interested in spiritual things the less I have those conversations.

Bringing the camera along for the ride says that expect to see something noteworthy during my day. I think I'll be bringing the camera.

No comments: